Aksel Vibe, the world-renowned farrier from Norway hosted a live webinar whilst he travelled across Norway for our community on 16 November.
Aksel cared for the feet of the horses ridden by Swedish showjumper Peder Fredricson – the same horses that won Gold whilst barefoot at the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo!
Aksel talks about Modern farriery and barefoot, what is suitable for different working horses, and how the right shoeing for each horse is fundamental. He explains his involvement in recent research and how working with Peder Fredricson opened his eyes to Barefoot, but it only works for certain horses in certain circumstances. There is also a tremendous amount of work required to protect the horse’s feet and Barefoot is by no means an easy option.
LOG IN TO WATCH THE FULL WEBINAR BELOW:
Who is Aksel Vibe?
AWCF HOVSLAGER M/FAGBREV.
We know Aksel as a leading farrier who lectures to hundreds of students every year; he’s been part of the Norwegian team and competed at the International team competition at Stoneleigh several times, going on to judge and be the only non-British judge on the WCF list.
Aksel has among his customers Olympic and World Championship medal winners, World Cup
attendees’ Grand Prix National and International horses. Part of his job has been to follow
clients on international tours, and he has also been the Duty farrier at several World Cup and World Championship competitions.
As a farrier in competition, Aksel’s highlights include:
• Norwegian Champion nine times
• Nordic champion two times
• European Champion
• Five times top 20 Calgary
• Winning four-man draft in Calgary 2013 with Team Heller
• Second in World Team Comp Yorkshire 2014 with Team Heller
• Over several years competed and placed in UK.
• Been Part of Team Heller with G.Moon, J Nunn, J Eurenius, and latest J Cheney.
Currently, Aksle’s job consists of:
• shoeing and trimming sport horses, dressage and show jumping
• give hoof care to breeding and young horses from foal to athlete
• lecturing, practical and hands-on clinics for farriers, horse owners, veterinarians and other horse professionals.
• remedial shoeing
• marked consult and product developer for Mustad Hoocare
• product developer for BHoof.
• consultant for Agria
“I have a keen interest in the “shoe the whole horse” concept and I’m eager to develop myself and optimise my shoeing and hoof care through understanding advanced horse assessment and diagnostics.” Said Aksel