- Horses have a sweat gland at the base of every hair follicle.
- Horses have around 1000 hairs per square centimetre – this is less than rabbits (~4000) but more than pigs (~40).
- At a density of 1000 hairs per cm2, wind at 20mph only penetrates a few mm into the coat.
- Horses lose heat around twice as fast in an 18mph wind compared with in still air when the air temperature is 0°C.
- In Summer, Horses, Donkeys and Mules all have similar hair lengths of around 10-20mm.
To read the rest and learn how this will help you, join us by clicking the banner below.
Join us now to view this article PLUS 1000s of
- money saving ideas
And so much more!
Science backed horse care at your fingertips - dip in for information when you need science to help you care for your horse.